This policy is pending approval by the SIU administration.
This policy document is intended for use by employees of the university as a guide to aid in understanding the purpose of the guest wireless network, technical parameters, the distribution of passwords and other related issues. It is also appropriate to share this information with authorized users of the guest wireless network.
- The “SIU-Guest” wireless network is for use by individuals who have an affiliation with the university; meaning vendors, parents of SIU students, visiting lecturers, BoT members, alumni, etc.
- The “SIU-Guest” wireless network is NOT for use by community residents, faculty, staff or students.
- Use of the “SIU-Guest” wireless network is for legal purposes only. Illegal use is prohibited and violators are subject to punitive action.
- Use of the “SIU-Guest” wireless implies that the user has read and agrees to the SIU acceptable use policy and all other applicable laws and regulations.
- Commercial/for profit use is prohibited.
- Guest access is at the discretion of Southern Illinois University. Access may be blocked or terminated at any time for any reason.
- Use of the “SIU-Guest” network for illegal activities will result in immediate termination of service and notification of applicable law enforcement agencies. Illegal activities may include obscenity, pornography, threats, harassment, defamation, theft, copyright infringement, unauthorized access to network/computer resources, fraud, distribution of malware/malicious software, sending unsolicited bulk messages etc.
- The “SIU-Guest” wireless should not be used to transmit confidential or sensitive information.
- Users of the “SIU-Guest” wireless are responsible for the security of their device and the data contained therein.
Use and Access Information
- Access is provided on an 'as is' basis with no guarantee of service.
- Unauthorized use of this network is prohibited.
- This network is subject to periodic maintenance and may be unavailable without advanced notice.
- Due to the amount of bandwidth required by some applications and their effect on a shared resource, some protocols or programs may be blocked.
- Use of peer-to-peer software that can be used to share files such as movies, music, or software in violation of copyright laws is strictly prohibited.
- SIU assumes no responsibility for damage or loss of equipment. Users must keep their equipment with them at all times.