Guest Wireless Procedures and Information
This procedures and information document is intended for use by employees of the university to aid in understanding background information about the “SIU-Guest” wireless network and related procedures. It is intended as an internal use document and should not be generally distributed.
Password Change Procedure:
The Information Technology Network Engineering Team will change the guest wireless password three times per year, to be conducted once each in the spring, summer and fall semesters. Network Engineering personnel will e-mail the mailing list/contact person at each locations with the proposed change date and the new password. The proposed date will be set to allow the contact person to distribute the new password to their employees/to the distribution locations; which will likely be a one week notice.
To change the contact person or to add or delete a contact person, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com with the pertinent information and noting the type change.
- SSID: SIU-Guest
- Bandwidth: 1 Meg per access
- Access: Unlimited number of devices/accesses per person
- IP Addressing: Will be non-routable and translated to a service provider’s address space
- On-Campus Access: Access to campus resources will be roughly equivalent to access from the Internet (port 80, 443, etc.)
- Encryption: WPA2 - AES
- Password: A password is required for access
Note: These parameters are subject to change based on usage, abuse, etc.
- Signage will not include the guest wireless password.
- Signage can be created/displayed to advertise the presence of the guest wireless network.
- Signage will not be provided by the Information Technology department.
- Authorized users of the “SIU-Guest” wireless network can obtain assistance from the SalukiTech help desk at 618-453-5155 or firstname.lastname@example.org.