Windows 8 eduroam Setup
The preferred way of setting up the eduroam SSID on any operating system is the Xpress Connect Configuration Utility that can be found at oit.siu.edu/wireless/xpc. The utility sets up the SSID automatically with little input from you.
Delete any existing eduroam profile
1. Open Command Prompt by swiping in from the right edge of the screen, tapping Search (or if you're using a mouse, pointing to the upper-right corner of the screen, moving the mouse pointer down, and then clicking Search), entering ‘Command Prompt’ in the search box, and then tapping or clicking Command Prompt. At the prompt, type:
netsh wlan delete profile name=eduroam
Manually create an eduroam profile
1. From the Desktop, right-click on the wireless icon: and select Open Network and Sharing Centre.
Fig 1 – Wireless icon
2. Select Set up a new connection or network
Fig 2 - Set up a new connection or network
3. From the connection options, select Manually connect to a wireless network.
Fig 3 - Manually connect to a wireless network
4. Enter “eduroam" as the Network Name and select WPA2 Enterprise for the Security Type. Ensure Start this connection automatically is enabled. The Connect even if the network is not broadcasting box unticked.
Fig 4 – Enter network profile
5. Click Next to save your profile.
6. Once successfully added, Click "Change connection settings".
Fig 5 – successfully added network
7. Click the Security tab
Fig 6 - Security tab in Wireless Network Properties
8. Click Settings Next to "Microsoft: Protected EAP (PEAP)"
9. Ensure "Verify the server's identity by validating the certificate" is checked. Check the box next to "AddTrust External CA Root". Click OK Twice.
Fig 7 - Protected EAP Properties
10. Click Close.
Fig 8 - Successfully added network
11. You may need to invoke the wireless connection. From the Desktop, click on the wireless icon and select eduroam. Connect automatically should be ticked. Select Connect.
Fig 6 – Wireless networks
8. Follow the prompts for SIU credentials. Remember you should enter your userID followed by @siu.edu e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org.